TAFTATA box binding protein associated factor
|SMART accession number:||SM00803
||TAFs (TATA box binding protein associated factors) are part of the transcription initiation factor TFIID multimeric protein complex. TFIID is composed of the TATA box binding protein (TBP) and a number of TAFs. The TAFs provide binding sites for many different transcriptional activators and co-activators that modulate transcription initiation by Pol II. TAF proteins adopt a histone-like fold.|
|Interpro abstract (IPR004823):
||The TATA box binding protein associated factor (TAF) is part of the transcription initiation factor TFIID multimeric protein complex. TFIID plays a central role in mediating promoter responses to various activators and repressors. It binds tightly to TAFII-250 and directly interacts with TAFII-40. TFIID is composed of TATA binding protein (TBP)and a number of TBP-associated factors (TAFS). TAF proteins adopt a histone-like fold.
|GO process:||DNA-dependent transcription, initiation (GO:0006352)|
|GO component:||nucleus (GO:0005634)|
There are 184
TAF domains in 184 proteins in SMART's nrdb database.
Click on the following links for more information.
- Evolution (species in which this domain is found)
- Cellular role (predicted cellular role)
- Literature (relevant references for this domain)
- Metabolism (metabolic pathways involving proteins which contain this domain)
- Structure (3D structures containing this domain)
- Links (links to other resources describing this domain)